Thursday, June 25, 2009

The new Namics logo: boring revamp...or is it?

I read about the new Namics logo in the Brand New blog this morning, and I instantly wondered what the heck they were doing when I saw the before and after (photo from Brand New):











The original Namics logo, while a little bit odd, at least had some character to it. And they replaced it with a bunch of words set in Arial?? Seriously?

But once I read the background behind the new Namics logo (you can read more about it in the Brand New article if you're interested), dubbed by Heads, the agency who created it, as “the world’s first ‘Real Time Corporate Identity'” I appreciated its genius. While I don't understand what the German words before the Namics name mean, they're actually being pulled real-time from input by Namics employees through any number of methods, like Twitter or SMS. Confused? Visit the Namics website and watch the logo continually refresh itself. It's a random stream of consciousness...ever-changing and reflecting trends in the online world.

Despite my initial reaction, I think this is one of the most intuitive logo ideas I've seen in a long time. It is able to reflect a consistent brand image for Namics while still staying fresh and new at all times. Brilliant.

4 comments:

Andreas Fischler said...

in the name of the inventors of the idea at heads and Namics: thanks for this post :-)

Perceptivity Studio said...

Did you actually work on this identity, Andreas? If so, kudos to you! It is such a smart idea.

Andreas Fischler said...

Hi PS. No, not myself, but I'm a part of Namics and supported the idea for that kind of realtime-"logo" from the beginning and I like it very much, because I think it's the best way to explain what namics is and does :-)

Perceptivity Studio said...

Well having great clients often allows for the best identities to take shape, so again, kudos!